Change is something that presses us out of our comfort zone. It is destiny-filtered, heart grown, faith built. Change is for the better or for the worst, depending on where you view it. Change has an adjustment period, which varies on the individual. It is uncomfortable, for changing from one state to the next upsets our control over outcomes. Change has a ripping effect on those who won’t let go. Change is needed when all the props and practices of the past no longer work. Change is charged when you are dissatisfied with where you are.
Everyone can be a change agent.
Who is a change agent?
A change agent is an event, organisation, or more usually, a person that acts as a catalyst for change. A change agent is a person chosen to bring about specific change because of their ability to effect change.
Steps to change
• Have a clear vision Make maximum use of opportunities that present themselves.
• Know who your allies are
• Be prepared for sacrifice
• Be creative and innovative
• Expect the unexpected.
• Understand your environment including who your allies are and who you might win over
• Map resistance to change – who needs to be persuaded and who can be isolated
• Map a way to achieve change, what tactics and strategies will be effective
• Map a sustainability plan including succession plans for leadership
• Prioritize the right issues, at the right time – be strategic
• Mobilize and create mechanisms that enable change to happen
• Organize and provide effective leadership
• Dialogue, lobby and advocate for your cause
• Be consistent
• Be the change that you seek
• Mentor others and organize for succession
• Ensure buy in from multiple stakeholders
• Celebrate and evaluate small changes